[thelist] Web App GUI

Hershel Robinson hershel at galleryrobinson.com
Mon Jun 12 11:41:00 CDT 2006

I am developing a proposal for a new web app and we are looking to
incorporate some AJAX and DOM tools to enhance the interface. This is an
internal-use only interface so the browser and OS base is known--Windows
2K/XP and IE6 and FF1.5

I am looking for a few examples of the types of interface elements we
can incorporate. Instead of popping up browser windows, I want to popup
virtual windows. This is the only example that comes to mind:

http://wiki.script.aculo.us/scriptaculous/show/Draggables

but I know I have seen windows that look more like a Windows OS window.
What I really want is to find a sample of a more X-Windows style virtual
window in which double-clicking on the title bar rolls up the body of
the window into the title bar--I believe I saw such a demo once but I
can't find it now.

We also looked at this:

http://www.huddletogether.com/projects/lightbox2/

as an interesting idea of scrolling through a list of items--in our case
it would be data items (like customer accounts etc.) instead of images,
but overall, the look and feel here I like.

The interface here:

http://www.rememberthemilk.com/

I think is known to most evolters and also has many aspects that are
very nice--such as the real-time AJAX validation of new account user
names. Also showing messages such as "You just did such and such." with
an UNDO link--this messaging concept has many applications for a
business web app.

Anyone have any other demos to share?

Thanks,
Hershel