[thelist] Website Width i.e. 760px vs 960px

Justin Zachan justin at jazzmanagement.com.au
Tue Jun 13 01:25:23 CDT 2006

Hi there.

I have been building 960px wide web sites for a while now as a lot of
clients request this and only occasionally do 760px wide. (Fixed width).

I am well aware this may mean a horizontal scroll for some (depending on
screen size and resolution) but have found overall that 960px wide works
well. The trend these days is wider monitors etc.

I usually place the main content within 760px anyway and use this extra
200px for additional content...

>>> What I was after was some useful stats or articles that discuss this
topic, the pros and cons and so on. Just so I am more informed and up to
date regarding website widths... Any useful experience and tips is also
good.

Cheers

Justin