[thelist] target _blank was :Re: Default Doc type

Birdie bird at koolfish.com
Tue Jun 13 08:36:54 CDT 2006

Thanks Chris, I will add these to my reading list.

On my personal site for my friends and family where its basically news and
loads of photos of the kids I have the thumbnails all opening into new
windows because a lot of my friends told me that on their slow connections
they like to be able to open a lot of windows, go away while they download,
and come back and view them. They find it so time consuming if they have to
wait for each one to download in one window, then download the next etc etc.
I am torn between what to do every time I update it because I know its not
good practice. Does anyone else still do this or am I really bad for doing
it ?

Lisa

Always remember though that the very _idea_ of XHTML 1.1 strict
discourages target not because of spite, but because it is meant to
work in more than just browsers. XML does not expect several windows
to be available and neither does XHTML 1.1 strict.

You also don't really need popups any longer:

http://www.onlinetools.org/tools/dominclude/
http://blogus.xilinus.com/beta/doc/index.html

Hacking around that idea - letting the USER decide when to open a new
window - is not necessarily embracing evolution of a technology.

More stuff like this:
http://www.wait-till-i.com/index.php?p=136 (What can be done with
different standards)
http://www.wait-till-i.com/index.php?p=172 (CSS is easy if you