[thelist] target _blank was :Re: Default Doc type

Thierry Koblentz ng at tjkdesign.com
Tue Jun 13 10:50:16 CDT 2006

Birdie wrote:
> one window, then download the next etc etc. I am torn between what to
> do every time I update it because I know its not good practice. Does
> anyone else still do this or am I really bad for doing it ?

Don't feel bad ;)
Remember the article I posted here? It startsd like this:
"Popup windows are a hot topic among the web designers' community. People
who are new to the trade struggle to customize them while seasoned web
designers argue about their very use.
This article does not discuss what designers should do regarding popup
windows, markup and such. It is just about adding a tool to the box. It's up
to you whether or not you find it useful. "

I don't think there is one answer.
For example, what's the difference between telling users how to use a
browser feature to open new windows and using a script that lets them doing
the same thing without having to use "extra" keyboard strokes or a context
menu (right-click)? Actually, the latter would be less accessible isn't? And
is it the role of the author to educate users about their own software? I
would do this within an accessible statement page, but not with every page
where I'd think it could help the user. Because if you go this route, where
do you stop?

This is how I implemented the script for a project I quit working on ;)
http://www.css-p.com/TNT/art/popups.asp
Look below the "User's preferences" dropdown; that link doesn't impose
anything on the user, it just gives her a *choice*. The title attribute
says: "Make external links open in a new window (reloads the page)".

And if JS is off? Then you can always go with "plan B", suggesting users to
visit your "accessibility statement" page to learn how to best use your site
without javascript support. Or just do nothing as users would only
experience *default* behavior anyway.

---
Regards,
Thierry | www.TJKDesign.com