[thelist] unsolicited addition to web directory

John Hicks johnlist at gulfbridge.net
Fri Jun 16 20:47:40 CDT 2006

Brian Funk wrote:
> I run a small website for a family member's bed and breakfast operation.
>
> Two days ago I received an email from a b&b directory site informing me
> that they had us listed on their site. I had a look to discover that
> they had grabbed pictures and text from our site and put them on their
> own site which we had never asked them to and they had never asked us.
>
> At first I thought, "hey! free exposure, how nice", but upon looking a
> little closer, they have some mistakes and some mis-representation that
> is not so good. After much googling and a couple whois searches...they
> didn't make themselves easy to contact... I submitted one of their
> "trouble tickets" to ask by what authority they had done this. (knowing
> that if they hadn't gone through me they had none, but just trying to
> open communication..) Well, 24 hours later and no response.
>
> So now I'm getting a little steamed and just want off their site.
>
> I'm new to this ( I just have an interest in code and seeing what I can
> get to break successfully in all browsers) ;-) I wonder if the more
> experienced than I would mind sharing a little wisdom and insight into
> this so I don't go off half-cocked and shoot myself instead of the enemy.
>
>  From what I have been able to gather the site creators were [ URL removed ]
> and the site in question is [ URL removed ]...
>
> Anyone have any dealings with them? good or bad?
>
> Thanks so much,

Remember Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is
adequately explained by stupidity.

Maybe the site is some ninth grader's hobby. They might not check their
messages every day. Give them a little more time.

Also, you can try writing or calling from their domain registration data:

[ Registration data removed ]