[thelist] arguments pro css & xhtml / con tables

Stuart Young drstuey at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 06:01:06 CDT 2006

On 08/06/06, Christian Heilmann <codepo8 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Personally I don't see any reason that would warrant tables for layout
> these days. Designs tend to need to be more flexible these days
> rather than set-in-stone-pixel-perfect layout beauties,

Not the designers/clients I work for.

I frequently have to return to tables to get elements to line up how they
want.

(However my layouts are accessible and very low weight and don't involve
spacer gifs.)

Every "how to use CSS for layout" tutorial I have seen has created a very
simple columnar layout. The designers/clients I work for rarely want one of
those, instead there will be elements crossing over from one column to
another with other elements that must line up with each other and the
element that crosses over, and the size of the content can change, but there
must be something that lines up with the bottom of the content. etc. etc.

Tables = very easy to code layout that takes less than a hour.
CSS = days of frustrated hair-pulling and researching and analytical
testing/debugging to get to work (if it's not a simple columnar layout).

Boss say "you must complete this job in 4 hours or you will go over budget
and be disciplined". Me say, "righto, I'll use tables then".

IMHO, in the real commercial world ... as opposed to web designer's blogs
and hobby sites ... table layouts are the norm.

no offence intended, cheers

--
This is the gmail account of Stuart Young
Pt Chev, Auckland, Aotearoa New Zealand