[thelist] arguments pro css & xhtml / con tables

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 07:00:42 CDT 2006

On 6/20/06, Christian Heilmann <codepo8 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > IMHO, in the real commercial world ... as opposed to web designer's blogs
> > and hobby sites ... table layouts are the norm.
>
> I'd say 40% of the commercial world, but definitely not the norm any
> longer - unless it is just too easy to cave in or use what comes out
> of the box with the CMS/framework.

The last three contracts I've been on have specifically sought me out
because of my experience with standards-based development. Part of
that is the particular markets I frequent, but not all of it. I would
guess that 40% is a conservative estimate on your part, Christian
(i.e., it's probably lower).

But, anyway, this supports Christian's point: if you don't like using
tables, you certainly don't have to. There is plenty of work for you,
if you know what you're doing. And knowing what you're doing with
standards based development is becoming more and more of a selling
point to clients.

Good luck,

--
Matt Warden