[thelist] arguments pro css & xhtml / con tables

Ben Glassman bglassman at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 11:10:47 CDT 2006

On 6/20/06, Christian Heilmann <codepo8 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I prefer a "great" user experience though, and if I spent three weeks
> fixing the design to look the same on every browser instead of playing
> to the strengths of newer ones while leaving older ones with a usable
> site, that extra time is not in the project plan any longer.

Nobody said anything about every browser or spending weeks. Obviously
I'd lose my job if I did that. You're not going to have a "great" user
experience if its not consistent.

Obviously I'm going to enhance the site for users with newer browsers
and make sure it degrades gracefully for older browsers. These are
pretty basic concepts.

All I'm saying here is that I want the basic layout to look the same
in all of the browsers we tell clients that we support and I've still
yet to hear an argument that this is not the right way to go.

Ben