[thelist] arguments pro css & xhtml / con tables

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 11:21:12 CDT 2006

> All I'm saying here is that I want the basic layout to look the same
> in all of the browsers we tell clients that we support and I've still
> yet to hear an argument that this is not the right way to go.

Now we are deviating though. Basic layout is something different than
"having the same look in every supported browser". Nobody claimed it
is a _bad_ idea if your site looks the same. When I said "big mistake"
I targeted the mind set of developing the site with the goal that it
looks the same in every browser. The ideals you talked about -
graceful degradation / progressive enhancement - are a given for you,
then I am 100% with you. However, in a lot of cases when he project
plan asks for "full browser support" without caring for these other
bits.

For example there is just no way to make a complex CSS layout that is
resizable and accustoms to different content work in IE5/Mac, Safari
and Firefox the same way in every small detail.