[thelist] IE 5.2 on Mac

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Tue Jun 20 16:32:04 CDT 2006

Hi Amy!

Amy Johnson <amy at rocky-hills.com> wrote:
> I have so many problems designing tableless CSS  site on IE 5.2 on
> the Mac that I decided I would no longer support it.  My sites look
> fine on all the other browsers.  And then it turns out that one of my
> new clients uses IE5.2 on a Mac!  Ack.  Has anyone else decided not
> to try to make their CSS sites work on IE5.2?  Can I justify this?

At the last few web development firms I've worked for, IE5/mac support
had been dropped (years ago!) but on some recent projects we've had,
we've been forced to start designing for it again!  Why?  Were these
such popular sites with so many consumer visitors that even *that*
antiquated platform represented a siginificant number of uisers?

Nope.  They were intranet style web apps whose primary users are print
publishing compnay employees.  Sadly, much of that industry is still
using the (now wayyy old, but still a legacy standard) Quark Publishing
System which has never been updated for OS X, forcing its users to keep
Mac OS 9 on their desktops which, even more sadly, doesn't run Firefox.

It's like developing a printing press that must maintain
backward-compatibiliy with the stone tablet :-)

-dave