[thelist] While We Are on the Topic of SEO

Bob Meetin orpc at frii.com
Wed Jun 21 08:14:58 CDT 2006

I'm going to run into the duplicate content issue with a site I'm
customizing from a service package.  There are a number of companies
that sell out of the box, awkwardly customizable content packages.  My
client, tax service guy, chose to use one of these because they provide
a ton of boxed content for the site.  He did not want to have to
maintain this stuff.

Before jumping in all the way, I communicated with the company president
about duplicate content;  he admitted that it was a problem as there are
around 400 similar installations around the country.  He said that the
content would not be indexed.  I also checked with an SEO acquantance
who sort of corroborated the problem statement.

I don't know that the duplicate content will cause any actual damage vs
simply not getting the pages indexed.  If someone can say different I'd
like to hear it - but I feel (reasonably) confident that I can customize
the primary content pages adequately that at least those pages will get
indexed fine.

Regarding these services (services?) that offer content such as this,
IMHO they are gangly to work with at best.  It will take me perhaps
triple time to clean up a lot of surplus table stuff that they use to
make thir content fit their inhouse templates.  The particular service
we went with has high customer service ratings and advertises the
service as one that the business owner could do him/herself - I just
don't think so - I suspect that once someone has attempted to do it
themselves, that they would get frustrated and of course decide to spend
the extra nickel and have the service develop the site.

Some of these services use framed sites - this one uses tables.  I did
some pre-investigation with several of the live/demo framed sites - and
for the most part, they were "totally" invisible.  Aside from finding
results through either yellow pages directory or maybe a regional
listing of tax preparers, unique content on the home page wasn't to be
found.

I suspect that a lot of businesses un-knowingly jump into using these
services without understanding the consequences or even knowing the
right questions to ask.  Our job is to educate.

-Bob