[thelist] Anti-copying tools (was Site copied by *******)

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Thu Jun 22 19:57:06 CDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 10:39 +0200, Info at internetvraagbaak.nl wrote:
> Maybe insert a Referer check in you scripts?
>
> $accepted_site='your domain';
> // removing the following line may make the entire world use this script at
> your costs.
> if (strpos($_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'],$accepted_site)===false)
> fatal_error('Running of this script from another host is not accepted. Ask
> for this script at ....);
>
> or something like that.

This might appear to work most of the time, but can be bypassed easily;
Privoxy actually makes it easy to tell stupid referer check scripts
exactly what they want to hear, and outside of those my browser will
never send a Referer header at all.

And a sidenote: I realize copyright infringement is a serious problem,
but the use of the word "piracy" to describe the act or "pirates" to
describe the people is grossly inaccurate and can even be seen as
downplaying the problem of real high-seas piracy (which still takes
place today):
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/essays/words-to-avoid.html#Piracy

--
Shawn K. Quinn