[thelist] Site copied by pirates

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Fri Jun 23 00:20:50 CDT 2006

Santilal Parbhu wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm new at web design.  I don't understand - the two sites you refer to are
> different, so what has been pirated.  Also the pirated pages are generated
> by php and yours seem to be html pages.  Can someone explain.  Also are php
> scripts secure from pirating?

Being new gives you a slight excuse.

They look different.

Underneath they are almost exactly the same.

In fact the HTML and CSS code has been copied directly from the site I
built and mangled in the process.

The site is still linking to the site I built because the couldn't
work out what the mint directory was for and so I have had to disable
the web site statistics from my site.

stealing other peoples work is a crime.

if they had asked, I would have gladly given them the basic code with
explanations and then they wouldn't have broken my site.

please learn from this that whilst viewing the source of another web
site is a good way to learn how to do things copying it completely
without understanding it and then claiming it for yourself is
copyright infringement.