[thelist] laptop

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Fri Jun 23 04:29:39 CDT 2006

: -----Original Message-----
: From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org [mailto:thelist-
: bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Ian Anderson
: Subject: Re: [thelist] laptop
:
: Paul Bennett wrote:
:
: > What should I be looking for? Anything to avoid (apart from the
: > exploding Dell syndrome..)?
:
: The Dell Inspiron 6400 was one that offered the sort of large display I
: wanted. The 15" Macbook Pro is the one I take in most days presently.
: Both weigh the same, and it really bloody hurts your shoulders.

If you can get away from the large size, you can save on weight. There are
laptops with high res screens that don't weigh much. My Portege M400 (for
example) allows 1400x1050 on a 12" panel. That's more pixels than a 15"
Macbook Pro, in a much lighter package (2kg)

Or, if you want to stick to 15", Dell has some insanely high res screens
(1920 X 1200 for example on the Latitude D820, which has the same sized panel
as the Inspiron 6400 you mentioned)

: Final note - someone I know got a new laptop with the biometric
: security
: - a finger print scanner that is meant to log you in like in a Bond
: movie. It was really funny watching him rub his finger on his leg to
: clean it, blow on the scanner to get the dust off, wipe the scanner
: over
: and over, and sit rubbing his computer for about a minute trying to get
: the damn thing to let him in. Personally, I might not turn that on if
: my
: new computer had it.

Not sure who the vendor is that you're referring to. But I have no such
issues using the finger print reader on my M400.

Cheers
Ken