[thelist] laptop

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Fri Jun 23 19:18:22 CDT 2006

: -----Original Message-----
: From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org [mailto:thelist-
: bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Peter Brunone (EasyListBox.com)
: Sent: Saturday, 24 June 2006 1:29 AM
: To: thelist at lists.evolt.org; thelist at lists.evolt.org
: Subject: Re: [thelist] laptop
:
From: "Rob
: Smith"
:
rob.smith at lexjet.com
:
: > Funny you should mention that. We're rolling out the D820's with a
: > separate 19" flat screen for dual monitor capability complete with
: > docking stations, wireless keyboards and wireless mice.
:
:    I was about to ask those who mention needing a real keyboard and big
: monitor, if it would be expedient to buy something with a smaller form
: factor and just get a nice big screen for the desk.  Wouldn't that be the
: best of both worlds (or at least until those IBM virtual 30-inch display
: goggles become commonplace)?
:

To be honest, I find it somewhat difficult to use multiple monitors when they
are different sizes and placed at different heights. Dell does have the
D-series monitor stand that you can attach the port-replicator to that
elevates your notebook's screen to the same height as a normal monitor, but
I've tried that, and it isn't the same.

So, I've got dual monitors setup for my desktop machines (e.g. see
http://www.adopenstatic.com/cs/blogs/ken/archive/2006/03/03/93.aspx) but I
stick to just using the laptop's panel when using a laptop (and I don't get
laptops with less than 1400x1050 or wide-screen equivalent).

But just to drift even further off-topic, I'm considering getting one of
those large Dell 30" panels. Higher res than 2x 17/19" panels, and no
annoying divider down the middle.

Cheers
Ken