[thelist] Versioning software

Robert Gormley robert at pennyonthesidewalk.com
Tue Jul 4 07:31:26 CDT 2006

> Do I understand correctly that subversion / tortoisesvn is a
> directory based system and tortoisecvs is a file based system

Not as such. However, there are a number of operations - renaming a
directory under source conrol, amongst others - that Subversion handles
more gracefully than CVS.

The Subversion Book (http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/index.html)
does explain, somewhat, how they differ, in particular:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.intro.html
And
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.forcvs.html

Though the later is primarily for experienced CVS users.

> Other then that is one easier to use for a newcomer to
> versioning software?

If ease of use is your only criterion, I would say "Use SVN". If you
need to know about systems you'll come across, CVS might be a better
bet, but it would still be good to know SVN.

SVN is the newer system, and offers more flexibility.