[thelist] Web translation to Japanese

Andres Mercader AMercader at Counterp.Com
Mon Jul 10 09:46:53 CDT 2006

Hi again list,
I (think) I have everything working now, basically I changed my SQL
Server columns to nvarchar and ntext for questions B and C, havent
tackled A yet.

However, I have read some articles in which they say I have to change
the
charset of the html pages to UTF-8 or EUC-JP. I have done some tests
using
my standard charset iso-8859-1 and everything seems to work fine, am I
missing anything? By "all seems to work fine" I mean that I can display
the japanese text stored in the db in my html pages.

I also had to use CF_SQL_CLOB in calls to SQL Server using CFPROCPARAM
instead of CF_SQL_VARCHAR. I know there is a setting in CF Admin to set
the
strings mode, but I didn't want this to affect the entire website. CLOB
seems to work just fine.

Thanks

Hi list,
I have a Cold Fusion website running under Linux with a SQL Server DB
in a Windows machine. So far it works with English and Spanish. The
contents are stored in the db while the static text is kept in an XML
file, one per language. Then in my code I call a function that will
return
the text depending on the user's language. So far so good.

Now I need to add Japanese as language, but I'm not sure how to proceed.

A) I need to populate the XML file with the japanese translations, but
   I don't know how to enter this text in the file.

B) I also need to be able to store the text in SQL Server

C) And finally I need Cold Fusion to be able to understand

Any of you can give me a starting point or know of any article online
about this? What I have found so far is a bit vague...

Thanks a lot!