[thelist] [SPAM] Re: ASP.NET multiple forms question

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Fri Jul 14 02:06:38 CDT 2006

M. Seyon wrote:
> Message from Anthony Baratta (7/13/2006 08:35 PM)
>
>> M. Seyon wrote:
>>> "When working with asp.net having 2 form html object is forbidden."
>>>
>>> Is this true? It seems rather narrow-minded an approach if it really is.
>> As Ken stated, one server-side form only.
>>
>> What I normally do in situations like this, I make the login form a
>> non-server side control.
>
> Hi Anthony,
>
> Thanks you both you and Ken.
>
> If you don't mind what's probably a totally newb question, what is the
> difference between a server-side and a non-server-side control?

dotNet uses a new attribute called runat="server" for any element that
you want to have available server side "while the page is executing".

e.g. <input type="text" id="FirstName" runat="server" />

Then in your dotNet code you can reference the element as an object:

e.g. FirstName.Value = "Anthony Baratta";

A form element is just another element -> object, but you can only have
ONE server side form control.

Links to help you out.

http://www.asp.net/Tutorials/quickstart.aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/technologyinfo/overview/