[thelist] IE7 confuddlement

Ken Schaefer ken.schaefer at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 08:10:19 CDT 2006

On 7/14/06, Alastair Campbell <ac at alastc.com> wrote:
> Ken Schaefer wrote:
> > I would say so. VMWare Workstation is a superior product to VPC (it's newer,
> > and thus has more features). The next version of VPC is coming out in 2007
> > (or maybe end 2006). Unfortunately, VMWare Workstation costs.
>
> What's the difference between VMware workstation and server? Since
> server is now free...
> www.theregister.co.uk/2006/07/14/vmware_free_server/

Consider this comparison between Virtual PC and Virtual Server (VS is
also free):
http://blogs.msdn.com/david.wang/archive/2005/07/22/Why_Virtual_PC_vs_Virtual_Server.aspx

The server products are designed as just that. They don't come with
the same sort of interactive features that developers/testers would
use (for example, the VMWare Workstation product has the ability to
simulate different types of network links between your guest machines
- why would you need that in VMWare Server?).

Virtual Server supports the ability to automatically suspend your
machines when the host is shutting down, and automatically resume them
when the OS is started again. You need that because server OS restarts
might not be interactive (e.g. UPS running low on power). However
generally if you are testing on your own computer, you know when
you're going to restart your machine, so you can just suspend your VMs
manually. And you probably don't want all these VMs starting
automatically when your OS starts up, consuming RAM and disk i/o etc

Cheers
Ken