[thelist] thumbnails and downsized images - quality - gimp & imagemagick

Bob Meetin ontheroad at frii.com
Fri Jul 14 15:23:16 CDT 2006

I use GIMP and ImageMagick (convert ...) for modifying images.

With gimp, and large clipart gifs, when downsized to 100x100 (even
larger) the images tend to break up (less pixels).  Converting to jpgs
gets better quality, but lose transparency.  Are there any better
products out there specifically designed for thumbnail creation?  Or
perhaps are there some options that I can set within gimp to get better
quality?

For use in my image upload scripts I use ImageMagick/convert to do some
moderate customizations (quality, size, density, etc).  There is
supposedly an option to specifiy number of colors for .gif images.

should be:  -colors $number
as in:  -colors 32

This is failing on the hosting server, regardless of what number it
breaks and I end up with an image devoid of either black or dark
colors.  Any ideas?

-Bob