[thelist] NS 4.7 compatibility?

Rich Points rich at richpoints.com
Fri Jul 28 11:05:19 CDT 2006

>Here's my question:
>Is it a valid point to maintain the site compatible with NS 4.7?

Absolutely not, this browser is nearly 10 years old and anyone using it
today is going to run into all kinds of problems.  I manage over 10
sites and I just did a quick check of the stats and all of them show a
zero percent usage of Netscape 4.  The highest Netscape percentage I see
is version 7.2 which gets 0.3% usage.  Using this criteria I wouldn't
even code for Netscape at all.  The W3C has put together this page based
on their stats, I use this page as a gage to decide which browsers to
support.  http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp  Notice
that Netscape 4 fell off the chart in 2004.

In making your argument I'd be sure to point out that CSS designs can be
set up for graceful degradation where all the content will render but
the layout won't in older browsers..  Also I'd make the point that IE 7
will be released next year which will likely radically change browser
usage across the web.  I would even push for minimal support for IE5 as
it too is a dying browser that should no longer be coded for, IMHO.

The point I would push the strongest is CSS and standards compliance is
the past, present and future of web design.  I'd also show how CSS is
compatible with new devices such as PDAs and cell phones. By sticking
with a table-based design today will only require a redesign in the next
couple of years to accomidate these new web browsing devices.  By going
with full CSS designs now the company can save lots of time and money.

Good luck in convincing the decision makers to go with CSS.

Rich