[thelist] Harware question for enterprise application

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Thu Aug 3 18:57:36 CDT 2006

It does seem to be overkill, but it really depends on how intensive each
user's operations are, and how powerful your servers are.

For only 650 users, for most web apps, you can probably get by with 1 (or 2)
load balanced web boxes, and a single decent database server (which you may
wish to cluster Active/Passive if you want high availability).

Specs for my current project are 25 web servers, but that's for >50,000
concurrent users at 2500 page reqs/sec. I believe, in load testing, we are
able to support 6000 users across 6 load balanced web servers (the load test
environment also has 2 middle tier app servers, one A/P SQL Server cluster
for data, and one A/P SQL Server cluster for session state storage)

Cheers
Ken

--
My IIS Blog: www.adOpenStatic.com/cs/blogs/ken
Tech.Ed Sydney: learn all about IIS 7.0 - See you there!