[thelist] New Server Configuration

Hershel Robinson hershel at galleryrobinson.com
Tue Aug 8 11:39:23 CDT 2006

I wrote to MySQL support:

 > > The project we are working on now is a complete rewrite of an
existing web app. The app in question needs to support an average 200
internal users (that's this year's estimate) all logged on and actively
using the system with estimated average of 2000 visits a day from
clients, including spikes of up to 2000 clients simultaneously logged in.

 > > We have a new RedHat server box (Linux
 > > devbox1.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com 2.6.9-34.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Feb 24
 > > 16:54:53 EST 2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
 > > ) being setup.

plus other details and I asked them in particular about the MySQL
version they recommend and configuration / DB schema issues. One part of
the response was:

 > I think the biggest problem for you will be your 32 bit hardware.  It
 > will be very difficult to handle 2,000 simultaneous connections because
 > you have a 3GB per process addressing limit.  We will have to set the
 > per connection buffers (read_buffer, sort_buffer etc.) very small while
 > also keeping the global buffers pretty small to stay under 3GB in total.

Can anyone comment on this? I am aware of the 3GB limit for a 32bit
machine, but I am not aware of the issues this may imply with regards to
performance.

Thank you,
Hershel

--
Web Site Construction by Gallery Robinson
http://galleryrobinson.com/