[thelist] New Server Configuration

Hershel Robinson hershel at galleryrobinson.com
Tue Aug 8 13:35:16 CDT 2006

> Serving 2000 simultaneous DB connections will kick 32-bit MySQL in the
> teeth.  However, the actual number of simultaneous connections can be
> managed to a much lower number with proper app design.  In particular,
> you need to pay carefull attention to connection pooling and/or
> persistent connections.  It is also important for each web script to
> perform all business logic DB requests, release the DB connection, then
> perform all output formatting.  Model-View-Controller frameworks help
> with this, but you can do it by hand if necessary.

We are indeed using the CakePHP MVC platform for PHP.

> One other consideration:  if you implement security for the 2200+ users
> via database permissions, you won't be able pool the connections.  If
> you roll your own security so only a single database login is required
> for the app, all connections can all be pooled.  Then, the number of
> connections required will follow the page hit rate, not the number of
> sessions.

CakePHP by default uses a static DB connection string and we have no
plans to alter that. I do not know how Cake connects by MySQL by
default, but I imagine we could alter that if necessary to use a
persistant connection. Is this what you are suggesting?

> Apache creates numerous child processes to handle requests, each of
> which gets a 3GB address space.  You shouldn't have any problems there,
> other than adjusting the corresponding config settings to allow enough.

We plan to use Apache 2.x.

> If you can generate some numbers on page hits per minuter per user, and
> typical page execution times, the performance requirements will be more
> clear.

OK, we will investigate what we are seeing presently on the live system.

Thank you,
Hershel

--
Web Site Construction by Gallery Robinson
http://galleryrobinson.com/