[thelist] Streaming video

Jose Hurtado jlhurtado at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 15:27:37 CDT 2006

Jay,

There is no perfect answer to your question, but a quick pros and cons would
be:

Flash
Pros
- Biggest support in the 6+ browsers
- Small video file, especially Flash 8
- It streams instantly no need to do anything

Cons
- Apparently resolution wise is not very high (like HD)
- You need a Flash app to convert files to the Flash video format

Quicktime
Pros
- Arguably the highest possible quality out there, especially with the
latest codec
- Very well supported on professional video editing packages, especially
Final Cut Pro and the Mac apps, but also on the PC side
- It streams instantly no need to do anything
- Quicktime Pro is very affordable, no need for a pro app.

Cons
- Not as much support as Flash

Windows Media files and Real are actually falling behind, with Windows being
used mostly because of the streaming server that comes free with Windows
Server 2003.

My 2 cents.

Jose L. Hurtado
Web Designer / IT Professional