[thelist] Removing previous posts from thelist archives.

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 03:42:22 CDT 2006

> If it's not possible to remove the offending post, perhaps it's
> possible to prevent search engines finding it? I am not sure, so
> please, any help would be very very much appreciated. The thought of
> my mistake being alive and well on Google forever is filling me with
> despair.

Well, if it has been spidered already then it is too late. Once you
are in the search engine cycle it is hard to get out of it. You can
set up a htaccess on the server to prevent search engines finding the
page though, but the main damage is done.

A good reminder only to post demo URLs here and nothing sensitive.

<tip author="Chris Heilmann" type="Demo URLs on the list">
Every URL you post on the list will end up in the archive and thus
will be spidered by search engines and found by non-list members (yes,
and spammers). Therefore make sure that you don't post any sensitive
URLs with client information.
One common trick around that is to provide the links as
h**p://www.example.com although it is very likely that spambots do
recognize that pattern by now.
</tip>

Cheers, another bit to add to the "how to get help" chapter of the next book :-)

--
Chris Heilmann
Book: http://www.beginningjavascript.com