[thelist] Python: Basic Startup Kit Recommendations?

Jose Hurtado jlhurtado at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 10:33:43 CDT 2006

Frank,

Too many questions... but interesting subject, Python is indeed powerful.

A word of advice, if you want to develop desktop, executable applications go
ahead, Python is worth the effort, be prepared for a lot of work though
WxWindows seem to be one of the best options for that.

If however you are into web applications, take a good hard look at Ruby on
Rails, it is an amazing framework, and truly geared towards web
applications.

For Python beginner stuff check out these links:

Dive into Python - Free beginner to intermediate
http://www.diveintopython.org/

Very good beginner intro for Python
http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCSpy/

About the frameworks, well there are too many, that is the main problem with
Python, a lot of everything, I suggest you take them for a spin, read, email
the Python list... do your homework, no silver bullets yet that I know of in
Python land, however a very cool project is this one:

Django
http://www.djangoproject.com/

Jose L. Hurtado
Web Designer / IT Professional <http://www.trumpetdesign.ca>