[thelist] tracking speed

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Sat Aug 19 22:23:17 CDT 2006

: -----Original Message-----
: From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org [mailto:thelist-
: bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Peter Van Dijck
: Subject: [thelist] tracking speed
:
: Hi,
: I'm finding that tracking the ongoing speed of a website is harder
: than I'd have thought. Any good tools out there?
:
: To be more detailed, I want to know how fast various pages on the site
: are being served, over time. If the site hits a slow spot at 4:00am, I
: want to know about that. You'd think it'd be easy to measure that, but
: I can't seem to find any tools..

Most webservers allow you to log the "time taken" to serve a page. This is
generally the time between when the request comes in, and when the last byte
is placed onto the network.

If you want to know how long the server took to process things internally,
you'd need to instrument your application (e.g. via the simple process of
logging time stamps as the page executes), or look at what APIs the server
exposes (e.g. IIS on Windows 2003 has event tracing that natively records
when certain events are raised: begin request, authenticate request, pass to
ISAPI extension etc)

Cheers
Ken