[thelist] Multi-Warehouse Zip Code Calculator Revisited

Rob Smith rob.smith at lexjet.com
Tue Aug 22 08:49:07 CDT 2006

Back on August 2, 2006, I posted a comment:

We're trying to find the customers' closest warehouse. We have a cached

preset ranking in our database, but it can get ugly adding a new

warehouse. I wasn't about to update 12,000 records by hand, so I built a

multi-warehouse zip code calculator. I basically took the 2000 US

Census, all the zip codes, all their longitudes and latitudes, combined

the zip codes of our warehouse locations and all locations by our

customers. It calculates, using trigonometry, the distance to and from

every customer to every warehouse, sorts the findings, and stores it

back into the database. Mapping the entire US takes about an hour. It

comes in especially handy when we add new warehouses. I can at least

point you in the right direction if and when you need something like

this for your clients.

Now I ask about other options? Does anyone know of any third-party zip
code to zip code route calculators that factor in roads?

"There's not enough road to get up to 88 miles an hour!" "Roads? Where
we're going, we don't need...roads." BttF II

Rob Smith
LexJet
rob.smith at lexjet.com
http://www.lexjet.com