[thelist] Which Free Opensource AJAX Framework is worth thetimeand effort?

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 09:51:06 CDT 2006

> That is true, but I am having a hard time getting my layout done in the
> style that I want using YUI.  Esp after 15-20 minutes of Backbase, I have
> the basic layout finished.
>
> I'll play with it some more later and post the code for people to see and
> give suggestions on.

I think that cannot be compared. Backbase is built as a collection of
elements to put together as an Ajax application, the YUI is a
development framework (except for the widgets). Two totally different
intended audiences.

It is as if you compared UltraEdit with a snippet collection with
Frontpage. The latter gives very fast out of the box solutions that
work immediately, the former allows you to build something yourself
with small code components doing the tedious work for you.
Backbase also relies on bespoke markup and is (at first glance, I
might be wrong) dependent on JavaScript. Using the YUI as a developer
you can create Ajax enabled applications and still be backward
compatible and even accessible.

--
Chris Heilmann
Book: http://www.beginningjavascript.com