[thelist] what percentage uses webmail?

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 03:03:24 CDT 2006

> Good for geeks, if it works, but...
>
> I took the OP to be about how viable it is for a site to rely on
> mailto links.  In which case I suspect the question is more about
> throwing curves that unintelligible to non-geeks, and less about
> geek tricks and work-arounds.
>
> In this day and age, even amaturish hobby web sites often have a
> web-form-based email.  A bank that doesn't do as well surprises me.

The best trick is to offer both. Relying on mailto is just not a
clever idea. Many times I am travelling and don't have wireless in the
hotel, but have to use internet cafes instead. I hate it when my only
option is to send an email via a link, as it always means copying and
pasting, which IS somethimes turned off in these cafes...

The worst you can do however is offer a form that has mailto: as the
action, that is just annoying the visitors on purpose.

--
Chris Heilmann
Book: http://www.beginningjavascript.com