[thelist] Testing with IE6 when IE7 is installed.

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Thu Aug 24 19:09:15 CDT 2006

: -----Original Message-----
: From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org [mailto:thelist-
: bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Sarah Adams
: Sent: Friday, 25 August 2006 3:29 AM
: To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
: Subject: Re: [thelist] Testing with IE6 when IE7 is installed.
:
: >> "Test Internet Explorer 7 Without Installing It":
: >> http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2006/04/test-internet-explorer-7-
: without.html
: >
: > Yeah,
: >
: > but I want IE7 installed and a standalone IE6.
: >
: > I suspect VMware might be the answer for a long term robust solution.
:
: You could be right. I'm guessing someone will come up with a solution
: for this when IE7 is officially released. Something like the method
: people currently use to run IE6 installed and IE5/IE5.5 standalone.

I think more robust solutions would involve virtualisation - either the whole
OS (ala Virtual PC/Server or VMWare) or virtualising software (ala
Softricity)

Virtual PC (and Virtual Server for that matter) is now free, so that gives
you the ability to have completely sandboxed OSes all running on the same
machine

Cheers
Ken