[thelist] external CSS style application in JSP and Firefox

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 08:37:04 CDT 2006

On 8/28/06, John DeStefano <john.destefano at gmail.com> wrote:

> It makes me wonder whether the error is related to a MIME type setting
> on the server, except for two things:
> - the server admin swears that the MIME type for CSS has been set
> properly (how would you go about verifying this?)

Request the file and look at the response headers. Use telnet, Ethereal,
the LiveHTTPHeaders Firefox extension, or ... many possibilities, easy to
check.

> - if it were a server MIME setting, why would IE be able to interpret
> the style, while Firefox wouldn't?

IE lets you get away with lots of sloppy practice. :-)

> So it's _got_ to be a JSP issue... right?  Maybe a Tomcat server
> setting?  Is there a non-conventional way in which JSP pages call out
> for CSS styles?

No. But you're asking for trouble with your later example using a
relative link to your CSS. The file system path for a JSP page may
not reflect the URL path at all (due to the servlet container's ability
to forward requests).

FWIW,
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com