[thelist] web architecture work proposal

John DeStefano john.destefano at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 09:57:02 CDT 2006

> From: "Jose Hurtado" <jlhurtado at gmail.com>
> John,
>
> Having done a few proposals... I advice to keep it simple and do a search in
> google for:
>
> RFP or
> Request for Proposal
>
> It's funny because the appropriate name should be just "Web Proposal" or
> "Service Quote" or something closer to what the document is, instead it is
> called RFP or RFQ (request for quotation)

Thank you Jose!  Believe it or not, just knowing the proper term is a
big step in the right direction. The odd factor here is that I already
have the "contract" with my new employer to perform the work; now I
need to work backwards to tell them what that work is going to entail.

> I did check Google, yes there are a few... how about 10 million links for
> web RFP?
http://www.google.com/search?q=web+rfp&hl=en&hs=oaQ&lr=&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&start=20&sa=N

Actually, I see about 15 mil now!  Of course, 19 of the first 20 hits
are links to pay-per items (articles, links, commercial template
packages).  I found a snippet of one proposal, and it gave great
detail on the browsers and platforms that would be supported, so I
will go from there and look for info regarding other areas.

> On the CMS is a never ending story, but unless you are a Python expert, I
> would stay away from Plone... choose a CMS that uses an underlying language
> that you know welll... whatever it is: PHP, Java, PERL or Python.... know
> that one first, then select which CMS would make things happen.

I _had_ been learning toward Plone, but I'm not a Python expert
(although I think I'd like to be).  I know a bit more PHP than Python,
but I would rather choose the CMS based on its soundness, security,
accessibility, and features than because of the programming language
in which it's written.  And of course, all that said, I'm thinking of
checking out GridSite because everything here is based on grid
certificates... something else I don't know a heck of a lot about but
will need to learn in a hurry.

> Best of luck!

Thanks for your help!