[thelist] Ajax - Which one to learn on?

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 10:08:19 CDT 2006

> I know a lot of you are currently doing ajax applications and hopfully, I
> can gleen some insite from you all.
>
> As someone that has an interest in Ajax for both commercial and personal
> usage, which one is the one to learn on?  I intially found BackBase and was
> rather impressed with thier tutorial.  I also found the one from Yahoo,
> Adobe Flex and a few others.
>
> In you guys opinions, which is the best one to use?  I'm currently leaning
> towards Flex for the tutorials and future chance of business uses.

Personally I think it is a good idea to learn about how Ajax works -
what it encompasses and what the XMLhttpRequest object does.
Understand the dangers of Ajax and how to create a usable Ajax
interface. Then look at different libraries. All libraries do is work
around  browser bugs and give you a quicker interface to the
underlying Ajax technology. Some do that in a very thorough and stable
way (YUI, which by default is tested on all modern browsers) and
others might just stop working sooner or later and you don't
understand what is going on.

I've spent quite some time researching for the Ajax chapter of my
book, and must say it helped me a lot to spot bad implementations.

--
Chris Heilmann
Book: http://www.beginningjavascript.com