[thelist] Ajax - Which one to learn on?

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 10:11:01 CDT 2006

On 9/11/06, Chris Ditty <cditty at gmail.com> wrote:
> As someone that has an interest in Ajax for both commercial and personal
> usage, which one is the one to learn on?  I intially found BackBase and was
> rather impressed with thier tutorial.  I also found the one from Yahoo,
> Adobe Flex and a few others.
>
> In you guys opinions, which is the best one to use?  I'm currently leaning
> towards Flex for the tutorials and future chance of business uses.

I've never given Flex a chance, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Don't bother with the widget libraries. Platforms like Yahoo's YUI are
going to be what (a) lasts, and (b) is built upon. BackBase is
similar, but has different goals (or, maybe, just less mature vision),
and plays less nicely with other libraries.

And, of course, YUI is open source (BSD license). BackBase costs money
(how much? they don't list the price on their site, which is usually
not a great sign). Flex's SDK can be downloaded at no cost, but it is
not open source, as far as I can tell.

--
Matt Warden
Cleveland, OH, USA