[thelist] Ajax - Which one to learn on?

sam foster potatosculptor at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 11:06:22 CDT 2006

My experience is that most people start with the apple.com tutorial.
If you want to make sure you and your customers can talk the same
language, have a common frame of reference - this is where to start.
http://developer.apple.com/internet/webcontent/xmlhttpreq.html

Then play with Prototype/Scriptaculous, YUI, Dojo (and OpenRico maybe)
- in no particular order. Also look at Backbase, JackBe, Tibco General
Interface for commercial solutions (+ others, this is just a sample of
the more popular). And sooner or later someone will ask you about GWT
so you should know what that is and why it may/may not work for you
too.

If I were starting today, wanting to offer ajaxy UI develoment
services, and not having a great background in javascript development,
I'd probably choose YUI - just for its documentation and user
community, and the fact that (IMO) it lets you work your way more than
some of the others do.

hth
Sam
(presently a Dojo guy - for reasons that are beyond the scope of this thread)