[thelist] US Judge rules that ADA applies to websites

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 13:59:17 CDT 2006

On 9/12/06, Judah McAuley <judah at wiredotter.com> wrote:
> Yes, the non-ajax click through every page paradigm would be slower for
> normal users. But you aren't forcing them to use it. That version is for
> people using alternate access methods. Is that version more productive
> for people using alternate access methods? I would certainly say yes, if
> the alternative is that they can't use the app. You are increasing
> productivity for the broadest class of users with your ajax stuff and
> then providing a workable solution for other users. That is the highest
> level of productive gain possible. So what's your issue?

The productivity gain is much less, and my bill rate is the same. It's
my issue, because I have to justify the extra hours to the client.

On 9/12/06, Randal Rust <randalrust at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Avoiding a lawsuit, I guess.
>
> And I would say, no, not really. If I am reading you right, then the
> applications that you build to increase productivity are for
> employees. If the applications work with assistive technology, then it
> is up to the employer to provide (or be willing to provide) the proper
> tools to do the job in a situation where they have hired a person with
> a disability.

Well, in this case, the 'employer' is a state government. You may be
right -- I am by no means an expert on the responsibilities of
employers in this case, and the extent to which that would extend to
me as a consultant.

--
Matt Warden
Cleveland, OH, USA