[thelist] Chinese Cyber Wall

John Dowdell jdowdell at adobe.com
Wed Sep 13 13:39:18 CDT 2006

Hershel Robinson wrote:
> I just realized that our website is not accessible in China. So
> something else to consider is that the new website should be accessible
> by China - the largest market in the world....
> So does anyone have any pointers on how to make the site available in China?

If it's of any consolation, then your lab-equipment site would not be
the only one blocked by the government in mainland China, or by ISPs in
fear of government action -- the symptom is widespread, and there's
apparently significant awareness among the public there of the bans and
ways to avoid them.

Wikipedia has a good overview and selection of links with bypass
information... search term "china firewall" pulls it up. (I get the
sense, though, that these resources must be used by the surfer, rather
than the provider.)

jd

--
John Dowdell . Adobe Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
Weblog: http://weblogs.macromedia.com/jd