[thelist] Accessibility question about legends and table captions

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 12:02:38 CDT 2006

On 9/14/06, Matthew Bernhardt <bernhardt.7 at osu.edu> wrote:
> The grid of appointment times for each counselor is currently displayed in
> a table (which seems appropriate, but I'm willing to listen to
> alternatives), which means I need a table caption and summary to describe
> the contents of the table.

No, it doesn't actually. Older assistive technology doesn't even
support summary, and government recommendations suggest using a
summary that is in the normal page flow near the table. All that is
required for the table itself is that you use some method of
associating table cells with their row and column headings. You can
use the scope attribute for this (easiest), or the more bloated and no
more effective header id and headers attribute.

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/tables.html#h-11.2.6

--
Matt Warden
Cleveland, OH, USA