[thelist] Easy redirect method within site

Jim Callender kjcallender at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 09:34:36 CDT 2006

Perfect, just what I was looking for, thanks Dave.

Jim

Dave Stevens wrote:

Jim Callender wrote:

Ive got a URL: www.website.com/about/about.htm

and I want to have it redirect to the /about.htm when the address is just

www.website.com/about/

I realise I can do this if i just rename it to index.htm, but i prefer to
have the file name as a keyword for SEO purposes.

Hi Jim,

Assuming your host allows .htaccess files, place this in an empty file
in your favourite text editor:

DirectoryIndex about.htm

Then save the file as ".htaccess" (without the quotes!)
Upload this file to your server in the about/ folder, ensuring that the
filename is .htaccess - no extension, nothing before the dot.

A better explanation than I could ever give is here:
http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/htaccess6.shtml

.htaccess files are very powerful, so I recommend having a google for
them to learn some more - you won't regret it!

Cheers
Dave

--

Untitled Document

Regards,

Jim Callender
Freelance Web Developer

w. www.jayonline.co.uk
e. info at jayonline.co.uk
h. +44 (0) 1273 818 546
m. +44 (0) 7888 701 588

The information in this email is confidential.
Please do not pass it to third parties unless
we give you permission. If you received it in
error, please let us know, and delete it.