[thelist] updating skillset (long rambling request for advice, vague or specific)

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 10:51:33 CDT 2006

On 9/25/06, Joel D Canfield <joel at spinhead.com> wrote:

> and, if it makes a difference, one of my goals is steady movement toward
> platform-independence. I *am* currently rather Microsoft-centric, and
> while that's probably useful over the next decade, I want to build the
> skills necessary so I'm ready when OS2 comes back ;)

<brief-OT-seque>
oh, man I can't stand it -- I started reading most tech lists via Google
mail a while back and sometimes the juxtaposition of ads is so bizarre.
"Kabbalah strings" when the topic is handling a String in Java, or what-
the-hey-ever. But this one is especially rich:

      <http://webtuitive.com/samples/os2-snap.png>
</brief-OT-seque>

Anyway, Joel, yes, I applaud your goal of platform independence;
having a breadth of experience helps you get in the door on a lot
more projects, and contribute more to the process.

I'd also recommend stting your clock ahead :-)  Don't spend a lot
of time learning old stuff that a zillion people know -- try as much
new stuff as possible. Build an app in Rails, try Python and Django,
play with Spring + Hibernate, whatever else you stumble across.
If you've never heard of it -- check it out. Take a test drive. You'll
learn *something* from it, every time.

FWIW!
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com