[thelist] Active Directory

Ken Schaefer ken.schaefer at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 18:54:38 CDT 2006

Hi,

Active Directory can not be installed on a Windows XP workstation
machine, only on Windows Server (non-web edition).

However you can install ADAM (Active Directory Application Mode) on
Windows XP Pro:
Info
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/adam/default.mspx

Download:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9688F8B9-1034-4EF6-A3E5-2A2A57B5C8E4&displaylang=en

ADAM is not a 1:1 representation of a full AD however. For learning
purposes the differences (i.e. the missing bits) are probably not
important. For testing an actual production application, you'll want a
real AD implemented.

If you don't have a Windows Server handy, simply download and install
Virtual PC (since that's free) and get the 120-day trial edition of
Windows Server. That will get you an AD you can use inside a VPC.
When/if Windows Server expires, just setup another VPC and you're good
to go again.

Cheers
Ken