[thelist] HTTP headers for PDF files and IE

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Sun Oct 15 10:35:45 CDT 2006

On Sat, Oct 14, 2006 at 09:27:00PM +0100, Lee kowalkowski wrote:
> On 14/10/06, Bill Moseley <moseley at hank.org> wrote:
> > This works fine in Safari, Opera, FF, lynx, w3m but not in IE.
> >
> > IE reports:
> >
> >    The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found.
>
> Check if IE gives a slightly different message if you do a right-click
> "Save File As...", something like not being able read/write from/to
> the cache.

Ding!

Yep that's it.  "The file could not be written to the cache".

> I'm suprised you get this for non-HTTPS requests.

Ya, maybe that was just once IE got in a bad state...  I can't seem to
repeat it now.  I have a better test page:

    http://infopeople.org/pdf

I'll leave that up for a day or so.

So https links #5 and #6 seems to work.  Isn't IE fun?

Speaking of IE, I have a CSS question.
--------------------------------------

    http://infopeople.org/pdf

I added "overflow: auto" to the <pre> tag and in Firefox that adds
scroll bars.  Without the overflow firefox just lets the <pre> text
extend out past the right margin of its container (that right column).

Now, with IE the averflow: auto has no effect and IE expands the
<pre>'s container to include all the <pre> text.  That makes that
column wider which doesn't leave room for the navigation.

How do I tell IE to just let the <pre> text extend past the right
margin (like it does in Firefox)?  And also, why doesn't the overflow:
auto work?

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley