[thelist] What makes a good web site?

apathetic apatheticgenius at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 12:04:17 CDT 2006

Julian Rickards wrote:
> Do you have a URL?

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9703a.html

I agree with the requirement for fast download speeds.  Your web site is
a shop window.  If, when you walk along the high street, a shop window
does not immediately grab you interest, you move onto the next shop.

Personally, when I'm browsing through search results, I give each page a
quick scan, and I decided within seconds whether to pursue that route
any further.  If the page hasn't even loaded during that time, it's a
definite no.

(Sure, there are some exceptions to the rule, such as a flash
introduction to a movie web site, but in that case I am expecting a much
larger pay-off for my wait.)

apathetic