[thelist] Mailing Lists using PHP

Mark Groen evolt at markgroen.com
Fri Oct 20 11:57:29 CDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-20 at 12:04 -0400, Nick Daverin wrote:
> > Mark Groen wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-10-19 at 19:31 -0400, Nick Daverin wrote:
> >
> >> Sorry if this has been covered before, but I can't find anything about it.
> >>
> >> We're trying to implement an automated mailing list via php/mysql and
> >> mail() just isn't cutting it. I know that there must be some decent
> >> low/no cost alternatives (we're a non-profit so no cost to us means more
> >> money to our charities).
> >>
> >> Some specs: We're running php/mySql on OS X client (my boss got that
> >> instead of Server because of the aforementioned money issue) with an
> >> apache server. I'm the admin for this and my knowledge is fairly
> >> limited, I've looked at the PEAR::mail package but can't quite get it to
> >> work.
> >>

> > Great software:
> >
> > http://www.phplist.com/

To that end, set yourself up as a Super Admin and get it going for them,
then remove privileges on breakable items and after a short flurry of
questions from the users that can't think for themselves, it should run
on it's own for a long time (3 years is the longest for any of my
installs of phpList, still going with only the occasional PEBKAC bumps
from users). IOW, phpList can be very simple or complicated depending on
your user status.

cheers,

	Mark