[thelist] Windows, excel and email attachments

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Wed Oct 25 08:44:06 CDT 2006

Hi ppl

I've a client who wants to move to webmail, but is used to clicking
attachments in Outlook and having, say, Excel load up to display the
file, or Photoshop, or whatever.

I'm not a Windows user, so I'm struggling to find the option in IE
that would enable that in webmail. I'm presuming it's a browser
setting (perhaps it isn't). I'm currently getting excel and images
open up in the browser, which isn't what I want. I'm sure the client
was able to launch apps but said it required too many clicks, he just
wanted to click once to launch.

I'm thinking this is an ActiveX thing. I'm using IE6 on XP, I think
the client's using the same.

Any clues anyone?