[thelist] Installing browsers for testing?

Donna Jones donnajjones at gwi.net
Mon Nov 6 13:55:17 CST 2006

>>Anyway, what do you do to test on older versions of IE/Firefox/other
>>browsers/platforms (besides online services like browsercam.com)?
>

> With IE it's a bad idea to run multiple versions as the versions will
> share some components, thus you won't get "real" older versions.
>
> The best and easiest way is to use a virtual machine. Microsoft's
> Virtual PC[1] is free, check out also VMWare[2] and Parallels[3]. YOu
> might also find Wikipedia's VM comparison[4] interesting.

The only catch to Microsoft's Virtual PC, but its a show-stopper for
some people, incl me, is that you must have WinXP *Pro*.  just thought
i'd mention that because Victual PC has been mentioned a lot but never
see anyone say anything about the caveat.

I've been running the standalones for a year or so (ie5.0 and 5.5 and
now ie6) and they have been fine, as far as i can tell.  at least they
show conditional comments and check out to be the same via browsercam.
still have to check out ie6 more but only had it about a day.

best
Donna

--
Donna Jones