[thelist] site speed

Bob Meetin ontheroad at frii.com
Tue Nov 7 08:05:49 CST 2006

Paul & et,

Paul Bennett wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> Interesting considerations.
> Are you having trouble convincing clients to redesign, or are you trying to sell optimisation as a specific service?

==>>
It gets a little fuzzy here.  I think it has to do with 1) rationalizing
in my mind whether the size of a particular site is a problem or not in
an analysis and 2) selecting a path that I can justify to clients. -
i.e. is a 500kb or 1000kb site appropriate in the right circles?

100-200kb seems to be a compromise in all worlds, kind of like buying
all-weather tires.  I don't have a link to current stats, but I still
hear 8 seconds as a goal.  Is 8 seconds relative to all connection
speeds or are broadband users commonly less patient and predisposed to
perhaps 4 seconds?

The table results on websiteoptimization.com suggest that 100k should
load in about 20 seconds via 56k modem, but 1 second via 1.44Mbps
broadband.  However, if 4 seconds is reasonable for broadband, then 400k
is okay, right?

So ------ Why bother target 100-200k if you've already blown off the 56k
modem customers? www.espn.go.com is commonly around 450k.  Many high
visibility consumer sites are in the 200-300k range (compusa, bestbuy)

Last night I attended a presentation by a local designer.  In general a
good presentation, but one thing bothered me.  She made mention of a
particular site in which she added a demo video to the home page. Her
client's clients love it, but her client cannot even access it (56k
modem).  I don't know whether she includes a browser test and
alternative or not.

Yes I do see some very small local sites coming it at 900-1000k.
<<==