[thelist] Captcha??

Brooking, John John.Brooking at sappi.com
Thu Nov 9 10:45:40 CST 2006

Matt said of Volkan's quiz example:
> This is an interesting example, but I don't think it would fly on any
> site that is required to be accessible. This would keep people with
> cognitive impairments (or, depending on the question, people from
> different cultures) from using your site, when they would otherwise be
> able to. Just something to keep in mind, since one of the main
> drawbacks of captcha is the accessibility challenge.

But is there any test that could be given that NO ONE (human) would have
any trouble with? If not, then there needs to be awareness of what kind
of test to provide based on your expected audience, and possibly a
decision tree for coding a test based on something about the client
browser. A simple example would be that if you can tell the browser
supports images, assume the person can see and give an image test.
Otherwise, give a simple quiz that's pretty universal or maybe
customized based on a country code earlier on the form.

This sounds like a good topic for an eVolt article! Or probably someone
on another site has already written one.

- John
--

This message may contain information which is private, privileged or confidential and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in the message. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender thereof and destroy / delete the message. Neither the sender nor Sappi Limited (including its subsidiaries and associated companies) shall incur any liability resulting directly or indirectly from accessing any of the attached files which may contain a virus or the like.